Friday, September 17, 2010

His Comfort

Sorrow abounds all around.

I think of a young mother who lost her baby, a young wife who lost her husband, a young woman who lost her father.

I think of them.  And I pray for them.

I ask God to comfort them.  In my disconnected sympathy, I equate comfort with "no more sorrow."  No more pain.  All calm and serene.

I want it to work that way.  I want God's comfort to mean all the bad things are gone.

But it doesn't.

One is still without a child, one without a husband, one without a father.

No amount of comfort will bring the lost ones back.  I don't know how that can ever feel ok.

I stlil pray for comfort.  But what I need to know is that comfort does not mean absence of sorrow.

It still means pain, but with peace.  Grief, but without despair.  Deep, bleeding wounds, but with hope.

It means He holds them while they hurt.

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Thoughtful post and true words.

Vanessa said...

Elizabeth -- Words seem inadequate to tell you what an amazing gift you & your words have been! I can't help but know there is no accident in my re-connecting with you after so much time has passed. Thank you for being such an encouragemetn. Your genuine expressions,thoughtful insights and candor have been God's instruments in my life this past week (i.e. my 9/16 post) and your humor has been a balm to my weary spirit. Maybe you can relate, but I was so nervous about the response my post would evoke -- it doesn't highlight my finer points you know? My thoughts drifted to the accounts of Peter, Job...I have a much greater appreciation for them and their struggles :) I just wanted you to know how much of of a blessing you have been to me! Bless you!
Always -- V

Vanessa said...

Elizabeth -- I can't adequately express the blessing you have been on my life. After such a long period of time since we last "hung out" I can't believe our re-connection is a coincidence. I thank God for using you and your words to reflect Christ. I thank you for your open honesty, using your experiences to parallell spiritual truths!
I look forward to future posts and discussions and I'm so glad to be back in contact :)
-- V

Elizabeth said...

V - I'm glad to be back in touch as well! Looks like my comment box gave you the boot. Sometimes you have to submit the same comment twice and then it will go through. Sorry about that!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails