Friday, December 9, 2011

Case Study: The Long-Term Effects of Kinesio Tape on Hallux Valgus - Week 2

(To read the first installment of this seat-gripping self-study, click here.)

Honestly, I haven't been expecting much in the way of results this early after starting my little experiment.  So I was a little surprised with my first follow-up measurements.  Let's review.

WEEK 0


Starting toes

Starting Measurements (11/21/11)

L MTP:  35 degrees valgus
R MTP: 30 degrees valgus

Measurements after Taping

L MTP:  15 degrees valgus
R MTP:  20 degrees valgus


WEEK 2

I've been keeping to a consistent wearing schedule of three days on, one day off.  That means I've taped my toes four times since starting.  I've been using the same taping pattern each time.  After this fourth taping, I measured both immediately before and after I removed this fourth round of tape.

Measurements with tape on (12/7/11)

L MTP 21 degrees
R MTP 18 degrees

Measurements with tape off

L MTP 25 degrees
R MTP 22 degrees

After I'd had the tape off for a full 24 hours, I re-measured.  Then I measured one more time with new tape on.

Measurements after 24 hours

L MTP 28 degrees
R MTP 28 degrees

My toes a full 24 hours after removing the 4th taping.


Keep in mind that my original measurements were 35 and 30 degrees (respectively).  My left toe valgus showed a 7 degree decrease, and my right a 2 degree decrease!  Like I said at the top, I wasn't expecting to see any change this early.

Measurements with new tape applied

L MTP 24 degrees valgus
R MTP 20 degrees valgus


In NWB (non-weight bearing), the amount of correction from the tape is much more obvious!

So, there you go.  And by the way, I appreciate those of you who have voiced your interest in following along with these reports!  (Granted, most of you are fellow therapists...)  Knowing you're paying attention will help me carry through with this.  Thank you!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails