Friday, October 30, 2009

WANTED: Fellow Workers


I keep writing and talking about the ways we fall flat in putting our faith into action. But I don't want to be just another person who runs her mouth with nothing to show. I certainly don't have it all figured out, and I continually struggle with not doing the things I know I should.

My purpose in this post is not to praise what I'm doing, but rather to show you that in some small way, I am trying to walk my talk. And I need your help.

I was driving in the rain a few weeks ago (an almost daily occurrence lately) and brainstorming ways to give more and have less. Christmas is around the corner, and I know my mom will be asking for my wish list.

The problem is I don't really have much of anything on my wish list. The last thing I want is to ask for more, because there's nothing I truly need that I don't already have. So I was trying to figure out what I could put on my Christmas list that I could use to benefit others.

My mom had just left my place that morning after spending the weekend with me. She was gracious enough to dump off an old sewing machine that someone somewhere had decided I needed to have.

(I don't know how to sew.)

It hit me then that I could ask for materials to make blankets and put the old machine to use (and/or crochet). Then I could give those blankets away. Right now my plan is to share them with local homeless people, because it sure gets cold here in the winter. That plan could change, and I could decide to donate them to any various organization out there who distributes blankets locally and around the world. But for now...that's my plan.

The problem is two-fold: 1) I am a very slow crocheter and currently this sewing machine is not working, and 2) materials are spendy.

Here is my offer to you if you've been looking for a way to extend your resources. Would you help me in this endeavor? I'm afraid I may succumb to discouragement if I have only my own meager progress to watch, and I don't want to give up. So would you pray for this project as I pursue God's plan for it? Would you be willing to donate supplies or even make a blanket of your own?

The thought of the one or two blankets I could make on my own doesn't satisfy me. I believe with the support of each other, we can do much to love many.

3 comments:

ERIN said...

I think Mandy put together a project like this in high school, with several people crocheting or knitting a few 5" squares, and then she combined them into a blanket. Maybe you could throw a crochet/knitting party and ask everyone to bring a couple balls of yarn.

Elizabeth said...

Mandy was always cool that way. Good idea on the party - I'll have to see how many crafty women are around! Thanks!

Anonymous said...

I got a sewing machine several months ago thinking that I would learn how to sew beautiful things. Well, I've learned how to thread the needle and sew a straight line but that's about it. I'd be glad to help you somehow if I can!

- Allison Herrman

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails