Monday, January 3, 2011

Losing Control

I left the nursing home this morning after another demanding and frustrating morning.  As I started my twenty minute commute to my next destination, a friend's invitation surfaced in my mind:  Instead of asking Him, 'What should I do with my day?', ask 'What do You want me to do with Your day?  How do you want me to do Your job today?'  Because it's His anyway...

Sensing a need to change my attitude and crabbiness, I thought I'd give it a try.

God, how do you want me to do Y...Yo...Yooouuu...r...

I couldn't do it.  I couldn't bring myself to call my job His.

It's my job.

I may not like it much of the time, and I may constantly complain about it and dream of greener pastures...

But it's mine.

If I call it His (as though He didn't create it and give it to me in the first place), am I going to be stuck doing it forever?  Am I doomed with no way out?

Will He make me do something I don't want to do?  Something even worse than poop and puke?

What will I have left?  I won't have any control...

And I think that's supposed to be the point.  I'm not supposed to have anything left; I'm supposed to give it all to Him.  All of me.  I'm not supposed to have control (as if I did anyway); I'm supposed to trust and lean on Him.

I wish I could say that realization made everything better and I fixed it all immediately.

But I didn't.  In fact, on the way home I did the exact same thing.

God, what do you want me to do with Y...Yo...Yooouu...r... my evening?

1 comment:

Jessica said...

Thanks for sharing this! I needed this reminder, especially being a stay at home mom to three little boys many of my mornings are demanding and frustrating!! and sometimes I feel like all I deal with is poop and (occasional) puke. Honestly I haven't even really considered it "His" job or "His" day, although He did "give" it to me! Thank you for this perspective and truth. Maybe my days will get better as I give up control and give Him control to order and orchestrate them.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails