Friday, February 12, 2010

Blessings via Technology

I had an amazing privilige this past Sunday.

My friend Lyla has a friend Kelly, who is now my friend as well.  Kelly lives halfway across the country from us.  She loves Jesus and is very active with various ministries.  She loves people and cherishes her time with God's people.

Unfortunately, Kelly has been sick for a couple months and hasn't been able to go to church on Sundays.

So we brought church to Kelly.

Since I'm teaching Sunday School right now, and I bring my computer and use the internet for video clips, I figured I could also turn on my webcam and let Kelly sit in on our class.  It took a couple practice sessions before we figured out how to make things work, but figure it out we did.

Sunday morning, dressed in her pajammas, coffee mug in hand, reclined on the sofa with computer on her lap, Kelly finally got to be a part of His fellowship she do desperately missed.  She even participated once in a while by contributing comments in the conversation box on the screen.

I loved it, she loved it, and I loved that she loved it.

After Sunday School, Lyla carried Kelly (via my laptop) into the sanctuary, where she was promptly greeted by our friendly greeters.  Kelly joined in our worship service while we sang, studied, and prayed.  Afterward, some of our friends were brave enough to stick their faces in the webcam to say hi.

She says I have no idea what "being there" did for her, and I'm sure she's right.  I've never missed out on fellowship and community worship for months at a time.  I can only imagine it felt like a bucket of cool water drenching a parched soul.

I've never me Kelly in person, but she has become a very special friend to me.  There was something about having her present and being able to worship with her that did something good for my soul, too.

3 comments:

DeMo said...

It's amazing how far we've come in just a few years in terms of technology. That's so cool that she could join in with you and interact. I'm sure that you'll be doing that a lot more!

Kelly Bodine said...

E, you made me cry. A huge part of me hopes I'm sick enough to stay home this Sunday so I can have the privilege of joining you again, grin. What an encouragement to know He has pockets of believers just like yours around the world. Thank you again for working so determinedly to bring me to you.

Allison H. said...

This is a super neat idea!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails