Thursday, February 4, 2010

It's Not About Me

I'm behind on my writing.  I failed to write any posts over the weekend.  Since then, this entire week has been crazy busy.  I think tonight is the first time I've had a chance to actually just sit and relax.

Normally this pace of life leaves me exhausted.

Which I am.

But this time only physically.  I'm quite ready to go sleep for several hours and not wake up to my alarm clock in the morning (SO thankful for days off!).

Tonight I don't have the feelings of despair and precious moments wasted in the rush of my schedule.  I'm content with the craziness of the week and not having my usual down time to myself.

This week, I think I experienced living life with a mission.

Instead of anticipating turning in my time sheet at the end of the day so I could go home, I focused on the present, because that's where God had put me.  Instead of wishing I could fast-forward through my mornings at the nursing home, I tried to do my job to the best of my abilities, because I knew that's what He was asking.  Instead of trying to rush through my evening activities at church to get home and catch up on email, I tried to be present, because these activities are meant to bring Him glory.

Instead of focusing so much on myself, I tried to recognize my purpose in doing the job and activities He has called me to do today.

What a difference it made.  Dying to self is proving to be a bigger challenge than I initially thought.  But wow, does it change the way I see the world.

1 comment:

DeMo said...

Wow. I need to do that same thing. I think so often we are "working for the weekend" and miss out on the stuff right in front of us. I tend to focus more toward the end of the day instead of putting my all into whatever I'm working on. Usually when I do that, I enjoy what I'm doing more and time seems to go faster.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails