Saturday, July 3, 2010

When Belief Becomes Faith

Faith is more than thoughts and convictions.  It goes beyond mere belief.

I believe many things.  I believe God is the great Creator of heaven and earth.  I believe Jesus is both God and man, and that He bore my sins on the cross, died, and rose again to reconcile me to Himself.  I believe God knows me intimately and has a master plan for my life, that He is working right now, in the present, in and through me to bring glory to His Name.

But if someone was to observe my "faith," are those the same conclusions they would come to?

Faith is a verb.  I'm beginning to think it's not as much something we have as it is something we do.

I believe there is one God.  Well, says James, the demons also believe there is one God.  What's going to set me apart from them?  James continues by talking about faith and actions working hand-in-hand.

I believe God has brought me to where I am now for a reason, and that my joy is found in Him.  But is that what my life reflects?  Faith would face each day willingly, staying alert for opportunities to love and serve.

I believe prayer is the most powerful tool a Christian possesses, and that it changes lives and draws me into the presence of God.  Faith actually spends time praying - earnestly, eagerly, and frequently.

I believe all people are created by God and loved by Him, and that He calls me to meet their needs and make disciples of them.  Faith pushes aside end-of-the-day fatigue and walks next door to hang out with neighbor who doesn't know Christ.

What I believe doesn't matter if I don't have the action to back it up.  Who cares if I believe all those things if all I do with my life is merely survive and spend my days resting comfortably on my sofa?

Belief by itself doesn't go beyond head knowledge.  Faith begins with belief, but it doesn't end there. 

Faith flows out through the hands and feet.

1 comment:

lightninboy said...

I think an argument can be made that faith and believing are the same thing, but I suppose I understand what you mean.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails