Sunday, October 10, 2010

Guatemala Update #1

Thank you to everyone who has been praying for me and my teammates while we´re traveling.  I truly appreciate this and am humbled to know how much support we have.  Muchas gracias. :)

So much has happened since we left Minneapolis that I´m afraid I can´t even begin to share it all...not to mention I am now the last one still on a computer, which means I should wrap up soon.

One thing that has struck me the most since being here actually relates back to other workers here at the Mission.  There are many 20-somethings who come here to work for the Mission for several months at a time.  Maybe this is just my own biased way of thinking, but when someone is doing volunteer-type work in a 3rd-world country, my first inclination is to assume they are here to ultimately share the Gospel.  But talking to several of these people, that´s not the case at all.

Some aren´t really sure why they´re here, other than for the experience.  I heard a couple people comment today how they´re not religious at all, and another gal at another time said, "She loves those like God loves the world.  Well, actually God hates the world."  I didn´t even know where to go with that one, so I just looked at her.

We keep hearing how important our presence is here and not so much the work we do.  But I wonder how even our presence matters when Jesus has very little to do with it.  The mission field also includes the people who come to do the "mission" work.

I´ll post more later when I have more time.  In the meantime, I am soliciting prayers for my respiratory system.  I have a feeling I´m pretty well doused in mold in my little hotel room, and I think that´s leading to the mild difficulty I had breathing last night and this morning.  I´ve been fine all day today, but we´ll see how tonight goes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth
I am truly proud of you to go down an help relieve the pain of so many is a great gift to mankind.
I hope your asthma doesn't react to the mold. Do take precautions where you health is concerned.
We are praying for your safety and safe return to the USA.
Love you,
Aunt Linda J

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails