Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Guatemala Update #2

Just finished the second day of seeing patients.  Yesterday was a full day; saw a total of thirteen patients, only two of whom were adults.  Today we saw something like six or seven.  Not as full...but took us just as long because our driver disappeared on us and we had to wait for over an hour for him to show up again.  I´m hoping to get through the market yet today and try to finish up some shopping before they all shut down for the day.  Only one more chance to get it done after today since market days happen only three times a week.

The pace here is amazing.  I feel like a completely different person here compared to back home.  People here don´t keep strict schedules like we do, and therefore neither do we, which frees everyone up to kinda do whatever whenever.  We get our work done, then have lots of time to kick back and roam around or just hang out on the roof.  It gets dark here crazy early...probably by 5:30.  But then it´s already getting light by 5:00 am.  I´ve been going to bed anywhere from 7:30 to 9:00 and waking up before my alarm every morning (if you can believe that).  Been getting lots of sleep, but I don´t feel like I´m missing anything by it.  Feels good to be able to live and not just function.

We´ve seen all kinds of diagnoses these past couple of days.  We do what we can and suggest things for the parents to work on until the next group comes in six months.  But some things we can only barely help, if at all.  Saw a 10 month old yesterday who had a huge head for her age because she had lots of fluid built up around her brain.  In the States, she would probably have a shunt put in to drain the fluid and receive all kinds of continuous medical care.  Here...we taught the mom to lay her on her stomach and sit her up more often (because right now she just lays on her back all day) to increase trunk control...and hope for the best.  Honestly, I don´t think that little girl has a great prognosis.  But that´s the best we could do.

Have another full day ahead of us tomorrow.  It´s hard work in a lot of ways...but I think we hardly notice that because we´re so busy taking in this different way of life, modifying things the best we can, and enjoying some God´s most amazing scenery from the back of a pickup truck flying down the roads.

Oh, P.S.  Thanks for all the prayers for my breathing.  I never had another problem after that first night!  Yay God!  I was told this rash should go away after I get home, so I´m not too worried about it at this point, though it is kind of a pain to know that I still have three more nights in my mold-infested room.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails