Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Just When I Was Expecting a Break...Favoritism

Ouch.

James is my favorite book of the Bible, but it sure is a hard one to read. It's so practical, and it keeps holding that proverbial mirror to my face to show me what needs to change. (Actually, it's the Spirit doing that, just to clarify and avoid and doctrinal reprimands in the comments.)

I finally made it through chapter 1, picking it apart a few verses at a time and seeing things in my life that need to change. Chapter 2 was a welcomed repreive...until I started reading.
My brothers, as believers in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ, don't show favoritism. Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in shabby clothes also comes in. If you show special attention to the man wearing fine clothes and say, "here's a good seat for you," but say to the poor man, "You stand over there" or "Sit on the floor by my feet," have you not discriminated among yourselves and become judges with evil thoughts? -James 2:1-4

Guilty as charged.

There are so many times throughout my average day that I discriminate, even in just my attitude toward a certain person. I discriminate among the people who come into the clinic - some are pleasant to work with, some not so much. I discriminate at the nursing home - some patients I really enjoy, some are very difficult. I discriminate when I go to home visits - some homes are clean with pleasant tenants, others are sticky and dirty with dwellers who aren't as well-kept. I discriminate among various staff memebers I work alongside - some are educated and easy to converse with, others have struggled to get where they are now.

But this isn't limited only to my working life.

This seeps over into my church life.

There are people in church who are very dear friends. There are others whom I don't know as well, who are difficult to deal with, or who don't have the same kind of home life I do.

I discriminate. I label. I pick and choose. I show favoritism.

I have become a judge with evil thoughts.

God, help me to love everyone, without showing favoritism or having preferences. Help me to love rich and poor alike as you did here on earth. Let my actions be consistent and my deeds reflect you.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails