Friday, September 25, 2009

Return of the Law

Speak and act as those who are going to be judged by the law that gives freedom... -James 2:12

There's that law again, the one from James 1:25. The one that the Jews and early Christians knew well.


LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD
WITH ALL YOUR HEART
AND WITH ALL YOUR SOUL
AND WITH ALL YOUR STRENGTH.
(Please excuse the shouting. I just find this law to be of utmost importance.)

When James first mentions the law in 1:25, it was to look intently into this law and to actually do it.

Now, James says to speak and act as though your life is going to be judged according to it.

If I were to stand in judgment right now, before the holy throne of the holy LORD, what would the verdict be? Honestly, I'd be more than a little nervous.

"In accordance with the law to love the LORD, I find you, Elizabeth, to be..."

Guilty? Not guilty?

Am I guilty of breaking this law? Or can I stand in confidence knowing I face no condemnation?

I know, Jesus has atoned for my sin and I stand whole and clean before the One who judges. But still...were He to critique my life, what would He say?

"In accordance with the law to love your neighbor, I find you, Elizabeth, to be..."

Guilty? Not guilty?

Am I guilty of breaking this law? Or can I stand in confidence knowing I face no condemnation?

I know I don't love God with everything in me. My flesh still gets in the way. I know I have not loved my neighbor, because I have not shown favoritism to the least of these - only to the ones I choose.

Forgive me. Lead me in these ways and prompt me when I have the opportunity to change.


Forgiven.

2 comments:

Alan said...

It is realy cool to see you pondering some of the deeper things in life.

Ginger said...

"Am I guilty of breaking this law? Or can I stand in confidence knowing I face no condemnation?


I know I don't love God with everything in me. My flesh still gets in the way. I know I have not loved my neighbor, because I have not shown favoritism to the least of these - only to the ones I choose."

Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death. For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering. And so He condemned sin in sinful man, in order that the righteous requirements of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the sinful nature but according to the Spirit. - Romans 8:1-4

Fortunately, God's grace does not depend on your ability to be perfect because if it depended upon our abilities to be perfect, nobody would be saved. I know I sure wouldn't be. But as Paul wrote, "where sin increased, grace increased all the more." God's grace is bigger than our sins and even after accepting the salvation offered through the Cross, His grace continues to cover us when we make mistakes. He is patient with us, not wanting any of us to perish. (2 Pet. 3: 9)

It is good to remember He is God, He is fierce and powerful who will bring judgment on the world. But it's good to remember that we who belong to Christ do not have to fear punishment. He reserves punishment for His enemies and disciplines His children. :o)

God is good.

I love you, Splitter, and miss talking with you face to face.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails