Friday, September 4, 2009

Life

I walk home from a baseball game. Next to the field is a cemetery. Gathered under a tent are a cluster of people. Mourners. They slowly begin to filter away from the family left at the graveside.

I cross the highway toward the parking lot of a city building. I see balloons on a door of the building and look for the occasion. There is a homemade sign attached to a pole. More balloons. The sign points attendees to the celebration inside. Perhaps a birthday party.

Two gatherings. Only a paved road in between.

Both filled with family and friends. Each vastly different.

My heart aches for those under the tent. I don't know them. But I know that someone is now without a spouse. Someone is without a parent. Someone is without a friend.

Life goes on. I can't help but notice this as I cross the parking lot outside the celebration. Behind me a baseball game continues. Inside this building people are laughing and sharing cake. A train whistle blows. Kids are playing in the street.

A family carries sorrow today that they're not sure they can shoulder. They spend the day crying and holding each other, wanting it all to be over, yet not ready to face tomorrow.

Life goes on.

Somehow we keep moving forward, placing one foot in front of the other. Somehow we find a way to function while watching life move on around us.

Some days we celebrate.

Other days we need someone to carry us through.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails