Friday, September 11, 2009

The Sabbath - part 3

To catch yourself up to speed, check out part 1 and part 2 of this Sabbath mini-series.
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Practically speaking, what does observing the Sabbath look like in our culture?

I don't think it's an easy thing to choose to observe, especially when we've already trained ourselves to go to baseball games and put off doing our weekly chores until the very end.

For me, observing the Sabbath means doing all my laundry, ironing, dishes, house cleaning, grocery shopping, and blog posts on Saturday. It means staying home from events that don't point me to remembering Who God is and what He's done for me. It means basking in His Word, music, and prayer...and maybe even resting in Him by taking a nap.

Observing the Sabbath means working harder on Saturday and the other nights of the week so that I am prepared to spend my entire Sunday doing nothing that isn't resting. It means not going to games or parties or movies because I want to have some fun.

It means reflecting. Resting. Being.

Maybe it doesn't always sound like something I want to do. But it's something I need to do. Not just because He commanded it, and not even because I physically need the rest.

It's something I do because it reminds me of God Himself.

And He is all that matters.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails