Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Winds of Change

Seems like it was just days ago I was curled up on my couch, weighted down under multiple layers of clothes and a blanket.  Snow drifts as tall as me lined either side of my snow-packed driveway, and sub-zero temperatures ensured I made good use of my car's auto-start each morning.

Now, I sit outside as the sun is setting, still wearing multiple layers, but this time with flip flops instead of thick fuzzy socks.  The snow is all but melted, save for a few small drifts across the street.  The birds are singing loudly, kids are down the street playing, Gracie is taking a few timid steps outside the house, and I just drug my trash can down a driveway without any ice.

I can't believe how things are changing so quickly.  The seasons are a constant reminder of life's continual cycles.  But somehow I forget that more changes in life than just the weather.

This month has brought dramatic changes to my life, to my family's life.  I can accept it, but I don't often embrace it.  Instead, I cling tightly to my routine, trying desperately to hold onto what I recognize.  I crave the familiar.  I function poorly outside of what I don't know.

But God once again patiently whispers to my soul, gently reminding me that change is necessary.  He is not a God of routine, of sameness.  No, He is a God of creativity, newness, life.  He is a God of restoration, beauty, purpose.

The winds of change have swirled around me like a hurricane.  They are subsiding, but not ending.  They still rustle the leaves on the trees of my life, as if to tell me that we're not done yet.  They dance around me, ever-present, but not taunting.  They are like a fresh-smelling breeze that warms the soul on a spring day.

Change brings storms.  Thunder and rain, snow and wind.  But no change happens that has not already happened before.  Winter is gone but will come again, with destructive winds, dangerous temperatures, and snow that halts daily life. But the combination paints a beautiful landscape of white and rolling hills and sparkling trees.  Spring is coming, and with it much flooding from melted snow.  Soon there will be thunder and lightning and rain.  But then comes the beauty - green grass, beautiful flowers, new life.

Change brings new life.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails