Saturday, June 5, 2010

Babies In My Backyard

I've decided baby birds grow faster than anything else on the planet.  (Except for weeds.  And my lawn.  And my piles of clutter.)

I was out in my back yard last weekend and heard what sounded like a dog chewing on a squeaky toy.  After some investigation, I found these (please excuse the poor photo quality):

Four ugly baby birds

Four baby bird throats, hoping for some recycled worms from mommy

Two days later, I took these pictures:

Still asking for food, but looking (slightly) less alien

Almost cute

Two more days later, I videoed them while they tried to outstretch each other in their quest for food:


Now, exactly one week later, they can finally see who's making the noises around their nest and won't squawk and stretch for me anymore.  They also won't pose for the camera.  I can see two beaks and an eyeball in the middle of a feather pile:

3 comments:

Lyla Lindquist said...

Look closer.

I see two eyeballs.

DeMo said...

I agree, birds do grow up so fast. The Canadian goose chicks are starting to look more like adult geese now and aren't the cute yellow ducklings anymore.

Allison H. said...

We had some baby robins in a hanging flower basket on our front porch. They were born on a Sunday and flew away on Thursday of the next week! It was so fun to watch them grow!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails