Monday, March 31, 2014

For many years I've pondered this verse and wondered why I've never seen it fulfilled:  "I tell you the truth, anyone who has faith in me will do what I have been doing.  He will do even greater things than these..." (Jn 14:12).  Jesus is telling His disciples that anyone can do the same miracles He did.  Not just those miracles, but even greater things!

So...what's the hang up?  Why don't Christians get these results?  Where are all the miracles Jesus has promised?  I know some will explain it away by saying this applied only to the disciples, or things don't work that way anymore, or this or that or some other reason.  But that's not good enough for me.  Because those reasons only raise more questions.  Hebrews 13:8 says "Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever."  Jesus hasn't changed, not in identity nor in the way He does things.  Instead, I think it's we who have changed, who try to adapt Jesus to fit our lifestyle rather than changing our lifestyle to look like Jesus.

Here is what I know to be true.  Jesus said, "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me" (Mt 28:18).  Search the word "authority" in the New Testament sometime and see what happens.  The number of times it appears is a little overwhelming.  Jesus didn't keep this authority to Himself, but on two occasions delegated it to His followers.  First He sent out the Twelve with "power and authority to drive out all demons and to cure diseases, and...to preach the kingdom of God and to heal the sick" (Lk 9:1-2, emphasis mine).  After that Jesus sent out seventy-two with similar orders in Luke 10.

I also know this to be true:  I am a child of God by the blood of Christ.  Not just a child, but an "heir - heir of God and co-heir with Christ" (Rom. 8:17).  Not only that, but Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to live in me, "the Spirit of him who raised Jesus from the dead" (Rom. 8:11).  The Spirit who raised the Lamb of the God of the universe from the dead freakin' lives in me!  On my own I have no power.  But I have the authority to exercise the very power of God.  Not only me, but every believer in Christ has this authority!

So I go back to my original question:  What's the hang up?  I think most believers in our culture have been blinded by the enemy to this knowledge.  And it's easy to skim past the parts of Scripture that don't make sense, the ones that raise hard questions that fly in the face of traditionalism.  But I don't want to do that anymore.  God is working with me on some of these issues and questions, and I'm learning and growing and practicing stepping out in faith so He can grow me even more.  Because I truly believe there is so much more to our faith walks than we even know.  God is all-powerful, and I don't want to miss out on whatever He has to offer me.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails