Sunday, March 30, 2014

Matt and I recently embarked on a new get-healthy journey.  So far it seems to be going well and I'm really quite enjoying it.  I've been on many lose-weight journeys in my life, and this one is proving to be different in several ways.  In the past, I've used every ounce of sheer will-power I could muster to count calories and eat healthy and exercise.  And so far I've had a 100% failure rate.  Don't get me wrong, I usually saw the results I wanted, at least for a time.  But sheer will-power stretches only so thin before it snaps and all is undone.

I can't commit yet for sure to say this will be the one success that will last for my lifetime.  However, a few things are different this time around.  Most notably, I didn't change anything about my diet or exercise.  Instead, I started taking supplements, vitamins, and other good-for-me things consistently.  And having these good-for-me things in my body is changing me.  My cravings are different, my tastes are changing, and it's easy and natural to make healthy decisions.  It's exciting, to say the least.

This morning Psalm 37:4 caught my attention:  "Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart."  And the truth of these words clicked into place just a little more.  Because as I fill my life with the spiritual good-for-me things, my desires will change.  My appetite will transform from the things of this world to the things of my God.  And as my desire for Him increases, so will my delight in Him.  As I delight in Him I will desire the things He desires, and I will ask for them and He will give them to me.  It begins a cycle that draws me closer to His heart, and that is the place I want to be more than anywhere else.

"Delight yourself in the LORD
and he will give you the desires of your heart.
Commit your way to the LORD;
trust in him and he will do this:
He will make your righteousness shine like the dawn,
the justice of your cause like the noonday sun.
Be still before the LORD and wait patiently for him."
Psalm 37:4-7

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails