Wednesday, March 5, 2014

My Journey Through Lent

Lent begins today.  It's not something my church practiced when I was a child, and I don't know all the ins and outs, the dos and don'ts, the rights and wrongs.  I don't wear ashes on my forehead or eat fish on Fridays (or ever, for that matter).  I've participated in Lent one other time.  So I'm certainly nothing special in this realm of life.

But this I do know.  God is working in my life right now in huge ways.  I am learning and growing in ways I haven't experienced in years.  How I choose to spend my time is determining how much I allow God to teach me.  I spend too much time seeking my own pleasures and almost no time seeking Him.  I am tired of my complacency and I want more.  More of Him, more of His power, more of His Spirit.  I want to live mightily and fearlessly.  I want to see Him work miracles through me.  I want to hear His voice and walk so closely with Him that our conversation never stops.  I want to be fully prepared to celebrate Easter, because it's the reason my life has meaning and joy and fulfillment.  I know all too well that if I'm not careful, it will be here and gone with nothing more than a Sunday morning service.  I want to anticipate.  Contemplate.  Feel.  Hear.  Embrace.  Experience.

This is my journey for the next forty-some days.  I am giving up watching tv at home and replacing that time with blogging, praying, seeking, reading.  I am at a crossroads and have been for quite some time.  I can see what is before me, but I won't get there until I die to self and run forward, casting off to the right and left everything that hinders.  Until I immerse myself in the Word and in prayer, I won't reach the full spiritual potential for which God has created me.  He has equipped me recently with everything I need for this journey.  I know I'm not going to get it right all the time.  I'm going to mess up, not do enough, be enough, say enough.  But oh, His grace!  I am committing to set my eyes on Him, take one feeble step after another, and let Him do the rest.  I am desperate not to miss this.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails