Friday, July 31, 2009

Do You Know the God You Worship? - part 3

So now what?

This week we looked at John's description of the throne room of God, and at Isaiah's experience to standing in that same holy Presence. I'm no Bible scholar, and I certainly can't describe God to you or make you realize how great He truly is. But I still hope you caught a fleeting glimpse of His hugeness and holiness.

So what?

(I'm borrowing this phrase from a friend. She uses it a lot. It's a good one.)

So maybe you just received some insight into this God you worship.

What are you going to do with it?

Don't let this become another "oh, that was nice" lesson, only to turn your back and walk away. Do something with it.

This is the LORD we're talking about.

Thoughts of this post were coming together for me as I was getting ready for church on Sunday. I was thinking about the things I just wrote above when suddenly that same question came back to hit me between the eyes.

What am I going to do with it? How is everything I just learned about the greatness of God going to change the way I do church in a couple of hours?

Church is a routine. Show up, sing a few songs, pass the plate, listen to a sermon, sing a closing hymn, shake some hands, go find some lunch. It's nice. Friendly. Comfortable.

But we forget why we're even there in the first place.

Church isn't for doing our weekly Christian duty. Church is about a relationship. Worshipping God corporately.

I imagine the throne room of God. Huge. Scary by human terms (flying six-winged creatures...massive earthquakes...oh my!). But the very heart of Holiness. The Reason we exist. The elders and creatures bowing down at the feet of this LORD day and night.

Then I imagine our church service being held in that very room. What would that look like?

If we were aware of where we were, would we do things the same? Would we smile and shake hands with each other, swap stories about the week? Would we methodically stand to sing the songs, politely sit while the pastor speaks? Would we ritualistically bow our heads to listen to the pastor pray?

I doubt it. In fact, I will say with 100% certainty that we would not be doing any of those things at all.

No, we would fall flat on our faces at the feet of Him Who sits on the throne. We would wail and mourn our sinfulness exposed by perfect holiness. We would cry tears of joy and dance before Him. We would sing and shout His praises.

Unorganized, unhindered, unashamed.

We would see that He is all that matters.

1 comment:

Lyla Lindquist said...

And so, so what? How does it change your worship? :)

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails