Friday, July 10, 2009

Leftovers

In our daily offerings and sacrifices to God, do we give Him the firstfruits of the blessings we've received? Do we offer Him whatever we have leftover at the end of the day? Or do we wait until Sundays to clean out the fridge and toss at Him the smelly, moldy remains of another week gone by?

In reference to this topic, I recently heard the phrase "throwing God a bone with some meat left on it."

First I chuckled. Throwing God a bone? As if He were a dog looking for a treat. But then in my mind I saw an image of me feasting at a table. The table of life where God has served me all kinds of blessings. He stands nearby, watching me enjoy my feast.

I feast on, forgetting the very Hand that served me this wealthy table.

When I'm finished I glance up, see Him still standing there, and toss Him a bone that I was chewing on. Because after taking care of myself, that's all I have left to offer Him.

Then I saw how it should be. Instead of offering God my leftovers, I should be the one preparing the meal. I should be planning a four-course gourmet meal fit for a King. Then I should serve it to Him and watch Him enjoy the best of my offerings, knowing that while I can never offer anything good enough, He still takes pleasure in receiving the best I am able to give.

And because that is enough for Him, that becomes my feast.

Because He is all that matters.

___________________________________________________
This post stemmed from listening to the audiobook Crazy Love by Francis Chan on my drives home from work.

3 comments:

DeMo said...

Splitter, I love how you can hear or read something and apply it to your own life. Most of the time stuff just "goes in one ear and out the other" and I don't reflect on it. Thanks for providing some perspective.

Anonymous said...

I like that first paragraph

Loretha

Elizabeth said...

DeMo - This is one reason I write. Pounding out my thoughts on the keyboard helps me process what I hear or read, and then keeps it in my head longer.

Loretha - Thanks!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails