Thursday, July 2, 2009

Sowing and Reaping

Remember this: Whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows generously will also reap generously. Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. -2 Corinthians 9:6-7

These words have often been at the back of my mind, peeking out to provide some prompting now and again when I'm making decisions about my tithing. Paul is writing these words to a free-spirited Corinthian church, instructing them on the basics of Christian living. He is encouraging them to pool their money as a gift to other believers in other churches.

This time, as I read these words, a new dawning occurred.

My sowing isn't limited to the money I give.

I know that giving and serving come in a multitude of forms. But I have never applied these specific verses to that particular knowledge.

Whatever [time, relationships, acts of service] I sow sparingly I will also reap sparingly. Or generously, if I sow generously. I should give of my time, talents, abilities, and invest in relationships according to what I feel in my heart is right to give. Because this is what pleases the Lord.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails