Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Promises

South Dakota storms just aren't the same as good ol' Kansas storms. They're just so tame up here. But they still make big fluffy white clouds. I've seen a lot of these clouds over the past weeks (but not up close, much to my disappointment).

Today's drive home was filled with fluffy white clouds again. I followed one particular cluster into town. This one had a rainbow.


Rainbows are cool. Scientifically, they can be explained by light refracting off water molecules in the air and something about color spectrums, which is boring and unexciting. That's not what I think of when I see rainbows in the sky.

And God said, "This is the sign of the covenant I am making between me and you and every living creature with you, a covenant for all generations to come: I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life. Whenever the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and all living creatures of every kind on the earth." -Genesis 9:12-16

As I was watching this rainbow, God was looking at it and remembering this conversation He had with Noah...the Noah...thousands of years ago.

That's why rainbows are so cool.

They're a physical and visible sign of God's promise in action.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Very cool. I love rainbows, and I like them even better now that you've shared that scripture.

DeMo said...

I agree! I've thought the same things about rainbows, and about *the* Noah and God.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails