Thursday, January 21, 2010

Beautiful Fog

Man, has it been a foggy couple of weeks around here.

I read somewhere that the lack of wind is to blame.  (I used to complain frequently about the wind back home.  Sorry, Kansas friends...South Dakota's steady gale-force winds trump Kansas breezes.)  Therefore, it has been foggy.

Foggy on my way to work.

Foggy during the day.

Foggy on the way home at night.

Sometimes, the fog is so thick I can hardly see.  I blindly take my left turn off interstate in hopes that no cars are coming from either direction, because I wouldn't be able to see them until they were in my backseat.

My car lights don't help a whole lot.  High beams certainly don't do anything except reflect the fog back in my face.  So low beams it is.

And I turn on my fog lights, because I know I'm supposed to use them.  But they don't reveal any more road than what is immediately in front of my car. 

Fog not only keeps out the light, it also keeps light from illuminating the road.

Sometimes life gets foggy.  It's hard to see.  Light isn't coming in, and my own lights I try to use sometimes only make my visibility worse.  When I use the Light I'm supposed to, I can't always see the road any better.

But I can see just enough for the next step.

I don't mind driving in the fog so much.  In a strange way, I almost find it comforting.  There's something soothing about being tightly tucked in on all sides, like a big heavy blanket.

Besides, when I stop long enough to pay attention, I can see how beautiful the fog truly is.















No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails