Tuesday, June 16, 2009

A Mouth Divided

Been thinking about speech. Words. Stuff I say that people hear. Or stuff people say that I hear.

There were two or three days this week where I kept opening my mouth when I should have kept it shut. You know those things you say innocently that actually sound more like an insult? That's what I couldn't stop doing.

But that's not really what I was thinking about. I was thinking more about things like gossip. Prayer. Swearing. Singing. Complaining. Worshipping.

With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be. -James 3:9-10

We sings songs of praise to our Lord.

We share rumors flying around about the person in the office next door.

We pray for our friends and family.

We say mean things in anger to those same people.

We thank God for the blessings He's given us.

We complain about our jobs.

Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing...

You wouldn't use the same bowl to feed the dog and serve supper to your family.

You wouldn't use the same brush to scrub the toilet and wash your dishes.

You wouldn't use the same scoop to clean the litter box and flip your burgers.

My brothers, this should not be.

Why do we use the same tongue to praise our Lord and tear down His people?

1 comment:

DeMo said...

I can relate to this as I've been thinking about the same thing lately. I've been more conscious of what I say around people. I don't want to be talked about, so I treat people the same way.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails