Monday, June 22, 2009

What to Pray For? - part 2

The other week I wrote about things we pray for. My Sunday School class had discussed and observed the differences between praying for the physical vs the spiritual (i.e. health, jobs, success vs righteousness, wisdom, hope, faith). Since then, I have been trying to shift the focus of my prayers...but have fallen far from mastering this new art.

But then I had a fleeting thought that slipped in between my other thoughts.

Jesus prayed for the physical.

Even our Savior - God in flesh - prayed like we tend to pray. In the moments leading up to the most selfless and greatest act of love ever seen in heaven or on earth...the Creator of the universe prayed for Himself. Prayed that He might avoid the very thing He was put on this earth to do.

"If it is possible, may this cup be taken from me." -Matthew 26:39

God, I really don't want to do this. It's hard, it hurts, I'm all alone, and I'm going to die. Please make it go away.

Jesus prayed, maybe even begged for his circumstances to change. He didn't like pain any better than we do. He struggled to face it head-on and willingly. He asked for God to take it away, to make it easier.

So now I know it's ok to pray for the physical, and it's even ok to pray the physical for myself. Jesus did.

But Jesus did something else, too. He didn't just stop at His prayer for deliverance.

He asked, struggled, wrestled, cried, looked for another way, something easier. He trembled and fought to catch his breath as his soul and flesh crashed together, each fighting to dominate the other. But then...

He took a deep breath and stilled his quaking heart.

"Yet not as I will, but as you will."

I choose to trust that You have this under control, that my pain will bring You glory. As horrible as this is for me, You have a reason for doing it. I choose to do this Your way. I will follow You.


Jesus surrendered.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Elizabeth, you continue to amaze me. Great blog. Keep up the good work.

Elizabeth said...

Thanks Becky!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails